According to Fox News, Texas has passed a law that allows Texans to manufacture, buy and use good old fashioned incandescent light bulbs!

Similar legislation was introduced last session here in Minnesota (Rep. Dean Erdahl and Sen. Mike Jungbauer)  but did not become law–let’s get on that next session. I don’t know about you but this Mom does not want mercury poisoned CFL bulbs in the house (or at work) that require a HazMat-like response if one breaks. Why are we putting up with this?

Folks, if you needed any further proof that the Green Enviros have lost their minds, this is it.  How do they reconcile this?

Here is what the EPA recommends we do in the case of breakage:

Before cleanup

  • Have people and pets leave the room.
  • Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
  • Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
  • Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
    • stiff paper or cardboard;
    • sticky tape;
    • damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces); and
    • a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.

During cleanup

  • Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder.
  • Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

After cleanup

  • Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
  • If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

Imagine dealing with this on a cold, Minnesota day.

People are not going to wait to dispose of these “properly”–whatever that means. They are going to put them in the trash. Do we really want these bulbs in our landfills and groundwater?

And what about breakage at work? Is the place supposed to shut down? If it does not, can I sue my employer for exposure to mercury?

Thanks to Bill Glahn who gave us the heads up on this today—you can join his Facebook group here: